> Library > Friends
> Meeting Notes
Annandale Area Public Library - Friends of the Library
Meeting Notes - October 11, 2005
Annandale Area Friends of the Library
October 11, 2005
Cindy Ahrens called the meeting to order at 7pm, with 12 members present.
The minutes from the July 26th meeting were distributed for review and were
accepted, MSP (Ron Remington, Carol Anderson).
Jean Peterson gave the Treasurer's Report: balance of $3492.55, including a
$500.00 donation from Mary Schultz in memory of Ed, and a $650.00 donation
from the State Bank of Annandale . This report was accepted, subject to
1. 501c3 Update - The Friends will pay for the filing and then submit
amount to the City for
2. Books sent to Troops - The Friends received an email and Citation
from the Master
General thanking us for supporting the Troops.
1. Librarian Update - Sandy
Sandy and Barb attended a Library Staff
Development Day on October 10th, including
classes dealing with mentally challenged library
users, computer classes, etc.
Sandy thanks all the volunteers who helped with the
door count the week of Oct 3rd.
The Library had approximately 568 visitors that
week. The counters also kept track
of PAC users and the numbers indicate increased use
over last year.
An additional internet station has been on the
Library's wish list, but GRRL does not
want Sandy to order, because of limited staff support
at HQ. Another station would add
to their network load. Sandy is going to try to
keep track of the number of people who
are turned away, and keep as back up when this
request is revisited.
2. Library Programs - Sandy is working with Dawn Schaefer-Stumpf on the
program, and ordering Library kits. The
Knitting Club continues to meet at the Library
twice a month on Tuesdays, and Tom Westman has
started a non-fiction Book
Club on Wednesday evenings.
3. MLA Report - Cindy
The Ramsey County Library won the $250 for their submission.
Cindy passed around
the Applicant Summaries. Motion to
reimburse Cindy for her expenses for the
presentation: $65.44. MSP (Barb Lundberg,
4. 2006 Author Dinner
Committee to include Marian Nelson and Diane Shoberg
(decorations), Cindy Ahrens,
Sandy Otto, Mary Iverson and Carol Anderson.
The committee will pick a day to meet.
- Changing the date from the beginning of April
to the end of April or the beginning of
- Planning this as a community literary event, a fund
raiser, or both.
- List of possible authors
- Possibility of adding another fund raiser in
addition to the Author Dinner and Book
Sale, i.e. Chocolates and Coffee.
- Possibility of having an Authors event at the
Library, including only Annandale Area
5. 2006 Book Sale
July 1st, Saturday
Guidelines to include a list of books that will not
be accepted (Reader's Digest, text,
medical, law, moldy) No books will be accepted
on the day before or day of sale.
6. Library Purchases
Sandy has received 2 new book trucks, $514.95.
Motion to pay shipping costs over
$400 already approved for trucks. MSP (Carol
Anderson, Ed Groop).
Sandy needs an additional Receipt Printer for
counter, approximately $250.00. Motion
to purchase, upon approval from GRRL. MSP (Ed
Groop, Jean Peterson). Sandy plans
to create self pick up area for reserved books, and
put Book Sale books on cart.
Discussion on Library Promotional Items, including
wristbands for sale, and free magnets
with library hours listed.
7. Nominating Committee for 2006 FOL officers. The November 1st
meeting will be the
annual meeting, to include election of officers.
Marian Nelson and Ron Remington
are the nominating committee.
8. 2006 Membership Campaign
Jean Peterson is developing an FOL membership card
to be distributed when 2006 dues
are paid. The drive begins in November for
January 2006 - December 2006 membership.
Bonnie will send email and postal reminding FOL
members that 2006 dues can be sent
to Cindy or Jean or paid at the Library.
$2.00 for Seniors, $5.00 for individuals and
$10.00 for family.
9. Chamber of Commerce has requested that we send them nominations for
the Year award.
Library Board Report - Ron Remington
1. Congratulations to the Friends on their award nomination, and
Dawn Schaefer-Stumpf on the great job she has been
2. Library Director Bescye Burnett has retired.
3. A community survey may result in restructuring of library
hours, but not an increase
4. The genealogy class by Lucille Nelson was well done, with 5 people
5. The water leaks in the Library are being looked into, and the Board
will make sure it's
taken care of.
6. The "OPEN" neon lights are working well, Sandy is
checking into covering the wires.
7. Mark is checking to see if the displayed art is covered by
insurance, and if it makes a
difference if the art is on loan or donated.
8. Elizabeth and Sally are resigning from the Library Board and the
Board is accepting
9. Discussion on column/articles in the Advocate regarding the
10. The next Library Board meeting will the October 27th at 4pm.
Additional Agenda Items:
Please review and sign up on the Yahoo Volunteer Calendar.
Ed Groop (FOL member on the Library Board Art Committee): Art collection
inventoried in November. Ed is checking to see if all
tracks/lights are installed.
The next meeting of the FOL will be Tuesday, November 1st, 7pm at the
Meetings was adjourned at 8:50pm.