> Library > Friends
> Meeting Minutes
Friends of the Library
Meeting Minutes - November 13, 2003
About 15 people were present for this meeting, including Annandale Librarian
Sandy Otto, Joan Allen (Great River Regional Library Supervisor) and two Library
Sandy Otto reported the volunteer openings:
- shelf reading
- phone calls for holds
- check shelves for holds
- surveys/door counts
- programming at the library
- volunteer coordinator
She also listed the current items needed for the library:
- Internet work station
- DVD collection
- rocking chair in the childrens area
- library programs
- SALE at old library building (items for sale include desk, books,
shelves, miscellaneous). Dates scheduled: January 16 & 17, 2004 at old
library "Blizzard Sale." Need to sign up volunteers the week
of Jan 5-10 to accept book donations at the old library, work on pricing,
empty old book drop, organize materials, etc. Call Annandale Scout troops
and National Honor Society to collect old books and help with sorting.
Stephanie will work on publicity for the sale flyers, posters,
newspaper. Public will be encouraged to drop off book donations Jan. 9 and
10, during specified times, or call the library if need to have donations
picked up. Need to advertise in church bulletins too. Will ask the
Improvement Club to participate with a bake sale, sell their book bags and
- ECFE collaborative program: Discussion of a date for a program
planned in December, reading with Santa, literacy focus, need for volunteers
to assist with program (ECFE has grant funding for the program, but needs
volunteers). Tentative date is Dec. 16, late afternoon. Barbara J. will notify
Friends of final date, plans, etc.
- GARAGE SALE: will be held outdoors on May 1 in conjunction with the
city-wide garage sale. Combined with a book sale, Friends members and
Improvement Club will bring in items for the sale, clean, priced and ready
to sell, and will be required to haul away unsold items. No clothes!
Improvement Club may supply baked goods for sale.
- END OF SUMMER PARTY (for children in summer reading
program): Date scheduled is Saturday, August 7, to be sponsored by
Friends (with funds raised during two previous sales), with Friends to
volunteer during the program. Need to check with City for insurance purposes
for activities. Possibilities for the party: "bouncey," face
painting, music, refreshments, free book for each child, etc.
- OTHER ITEMS: Discussion of a silent auction as a fundraiser,
display items for a specified time along top (empty) shelves at the library,
solicit donations from local craft-people, autographed books, other auction
items. Also suggested a gala costume party/dinner attendees could come
dressed as favorite book character. Also may look at new book bags with new
library building on the bag could be sold in the library, perhaps look
at plastic bags to sell for minor charge to protect books during rain/snow.
- Need to get these minutes and dates to Jill Bishop to post on Annandale
- Dates to Stephanie to begin work on the publicity.
- Post list of these dates [below] at the library.
Next Friends meeting: December 11,
7:00 p.m. at the Library. Come prepared to sign up for future Friends activities
and to become a regular library volunteer!
Upcoming Friends dates:
- Dec. 11, 7:00 p.m. - Friends meeting at the Library
- Dec. 16, late afternoon - tentative library event with ECFE
- Jan. 9-10 - Accept book donations at old library [time to
- Jan. 16-17 - Sale at old library [time to be
- May 1 - Library Garage sale
- August 7 - End of Summer party at the library (for children
in summer reading program)
Notes supplied by Cindy Ahrens.